There are many guides on "how to run civic hack nights" recently, so I decided to compile a list here:
"How to get started in civic hacking" by Andrew Hyder
How to: Hack Night
- Check out Code for America’s Events Guide to help you with logistics such as finding a venue, promotion, and more.
- Watch Code for America’s Brigade Hangout on “How-To Hack Night” and read the transcript.
- Watch the GitHub 101 Video — Occasionally, Chicago will have a class on a certain aspect of civic hacking. This video is a recording of Derek Eder’s GitHub 101 class.
- Read A Year of Chicago OpenGov Hack Night — Blog post about the one year anniversary of Chicago’s OpenGov Hack Night, including lessons learned.
- Read How-To: #BetaNYC hacknight — Document that outlines how betaNYC organizes its weekly hack night.
- Check out a Code for America Brigade event close to you and ask its organizers about their best practices.
How To: Welcome New Members
Civic Hacking 101 by Christopher Whitaker
How to Hack Night panel
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect those of my employer. -Fumi Yamazaki